...pillsbury pie crust

I have to admit it...I was skeptical. I am a bit of a food snob and prepackaged anything is normally not in my diet. When I was challenged to try Pillsbury's Pie Crust instead of making my own...I hesitated and felt a little anxious.

BUT...I was SHOCKED!! It is really good! And easy... You just roll it out on the pie plate, bake it and voilà! It is ready! Seriously...with the ease of this crust, I am not sure I will be able to go back to making my own.

My husband doesn't believe that a dessert is a dessert unless it is made with chocolate. Because I have sworn off sweets for the next month (can't wait until the end of these 4 weeks!!!), I made this pie for him. Here is one of our favorite recipes:

THE BEST CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
What's in it:
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
4 egg yolks
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

How to:
1. In medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. In a medium bowl, beat milk and egg yolks until smooth. Gradually stir into sugar mixture. Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil. Boil and stir for one minute.
2. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate, butter and vanilla. Stir until melted.
3. Pour into pie shell. Place plastic wrap over filling to prevent skin from forming and chill for several hours. Top with meringue or whipped cream and chocolate curls if so desired.

5 comments

  1. I'm still a pie crust virgin and always use Pillsbury crusts. I've been gathering recipes and preparing myself to try homemade crusts soon. I make a lot of things from scratch, but for some reason pie crusts are intimidating to me- I think I've seen them fall apart so many times. You'll have to give me your homemade crust tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always made my own pie crusts, 'cause I like them with butter, but since I have a baby who is allergic to dairy, I've been buying these pillsbury crusts for all my pies. Just used one last week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try their pie crusts. And I can't wait to try your chocolate creme pie recipes - sounds like something right up my alley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pie looks yummy! I will be making it soon and very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious and it actually looks easy. I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing what you have to say and appreciate your comments.